American Standard Plumbing Fixtures - Style That Works Better

This page was printed from

Glossary of Terms

Looking around the American Standard website or at a brochure and see a term you’re not familiar with? You’ll probably find it here.

Word Search:

Water closet: A plumbing fixture that stores a certain quantity of water inside a vitreous china or plastic tank until it is quickly released into another fixture. A toilet tank stores water until it is released and flushes into the toilet bowl.

Water control: Means of supplying and controlling water level in a tank.

Water surface: The surface of the still water in the toilet bowl when filled between flushes.

Wax ring: Located between the floor flange and toilet as a seal to prevent leakage and fumes. (Note: can also be provided with horn, which fits into the center of the waste pipe.)

Weir: Dam in the trapway that is specifically designed to give you recommended water seal and water spot.

Widespread: Measuring 8" from center of the left faucet handle to center of the right handle with everything in a separate hole (H-Spout-C).

2015 Digital Price Guide

Using a desktop?

View in Flash

Or choose

Using a mobile device?

View in HTML5

Login or Sign Up






First Name

Last Name


Postal Code

Sign Up

Sign up to enjoy the benefits of registration immediately.

  • Save your favorite products to your personal wish list that never expires.
  • Get quick access to warranty programs, install instructions, product specifications and repair part sheets.
  • Add favorite dealers to your profile for quick reference to your favorite places to buy.